Friday, January 10, 2014

pontification and catching up

I don't have any formal training in game design. I'm just a guy who grew up playing and loving games, who then decided to start making table top games while learning through trail and error. All the training I've had has been through my own research, failures and mistakes. But now I'm taking a class on formal game design and there is a definite learning curve.

You see, my academic background is in rhetoric and communication. I started making board games not just because I'm passionate about them, but because I could. I don't know how to program or animate and my graphic design skills don't go beyond what you've seen posted on various sizzlemoth outlets. Would I design a video game if I could? Yeah, probably. Video games are just as meaningful to me as table top games are. If you asked me which I prefer, I don't think I'd be able to give you an answer. When it comes down to it though, I don't have the skills to program or animate a video game.

Last semester I took my first real crack at making a digital game. Emphasis on digital, not a full fledged video game. Just to give some context - I'm in a PhD track Master's program at Ball State University, but my program has a production component where the students are tasked with actually creating something other than academic writing. This is a bit different than other PhD track programs which are usually more writing and research based. It's also the reason I chose this program, I wanted the practical hands-on experience.

So the very first project I decided to tackle was creating an Alternate Reality Game. If you're not familiar, it's a digital (usually web or app based) game that uses real world space as the game world. There's tons of these out there and I'm sure you've seen them around. I've played a couple, I think there fun and I thought I could put one together for this project - so I did and it's right here. It's not completely finished just yet, that's the first prototype of it. We're doing some cleaning up on the design, adding features, fixing the narrative - but that right there is the bare bones of my first attempt at a digital game. It came out okay and the test groups I had play it seemed to like it just fine. It's designed for younger students who tour the museum, so it was a bit easier for my fellow graduate students who helped me out but that's besides the point.

Fast forward to this semester - I have two more production oriented classes before I'm switch to all out thesis mode. One class seems like it is going to turn into a class on screenwriting, which I am totally stoked for. I've never written a script, but I've been writing stories my entire life so I'm looking forward to what that has to offer. The other class is a bit of a special case. It's actually an undergrad immersive learning project, that I was able to convince my adviser and the professor of the class to let me in on. We had to add some extra coursework and what not to make it 600 level, but we worked it out and I couldn't be more excited.

We're making an actual video game. The class is working with the Children's Museum of Indianapolis to create a game to supplement one of their exhibits. We're in the very early stages of this and still doing a lot of introductory stuff. This is where I'm getting engulfed with formal game design techniques, theories, and vocabulary. Sure, there has been topics that I've read and researched on my own in terms of game design, but then there is a certain way of thinking about things that I just haven't done. I've always looked at games critically and rhetorically but now working with a team of programmers, I feel that it will lead to another perspective. I'm not exactly sure what that perspective will be just yet, but I can already see the differences in the way they think about games, mechanics, and dynamics.

What's most interesting is playing board games with these folks. The professor, whom I actually met at a local board game day when I first moved to Indiana, is an avid board gamer. We have a game library in our studio that he encourages us to use and play games with each other. I think it's a great tool to get people thinking about mechanics and communication, since playing games with people is totally different then playing a video game. Given time to reflect on the processes and experience of playing a board game, it can be a very educational activity.

Over the next 16 or so weeks, I'll probably have a lot of reflection on this class and I intend on sharing it here. I'm still putting my thoughts and notes together from this past week of classes, but my brain is already turning. I've been in a bit of a creative slump (probably due to the lambasting of work due towards the end of last semester), but I feel like that is about to end and it's likely due to the constant design thinking I've been doing this past week. In other words, this class may just be what brings me out of my slump.

Anyway, that's enough about me, though, I'm positive you'll see my reflections on the class and other thoughts posted here..

SIZZLEMOTH STUFF!

As you've probably seen from our sporadic tweets and updates, we're on the last leg of the final prototype of Double Up. Danny Devine has finished up the backers, box art, and is putting the finishing touches on the rule book then it's off! We've been concentrating on that mostly. We've conceptualized a few options for what we're going to work on next, but have yet to sit down and see what jumps out at us. I imagine that process will begin within the coming weeks.

I think that about sums everything up for now. I want to thank everyone for sticking with us during the down time. The table top community is a magnificent and a community we're proud and honored to be a part of. I honestly believe 2014 is going to be even more awesome than the last.

Here's to good games and great people.

-Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment