Friday, January 24, 2014

Digital Board Games, Experience, and Togetherness.

The first digital board game I played was Ascension.

Matter of fact, I played the digital version before the actual game. I played it against random people, I got my friends to download it, I played the computer - I just played it all the damn time. Now a days, I don't put as much time into, but it's still a thing on my phone.

I've come to realize that there are very few digital board games that I would actually consider playing - all of which happen to be deck builders. Playing any other sort of designer or "euro" game just doesn't appeal to me. I feel that I'm losing that sense of togetherness, communication, and just being with other people. Having a board game night is an experience that simply cannot be replaced, even if it's just to get a fix when your friends are busy.

It also feels to me like I'm just playing the computer, some random AI. Not another person. If I wanted to do that, I'd go play a console game or an RPG or something. For me to enjoy a board game, I need to be with the people I'm playing with. This notion extends out to my video game habits as well. On a regular basis you'll find me playing multiplayer games. Sure, I get the occasional single player narrative experience in and I love it - but nightly gaming? League of Legends, Borderlands 2, Payday - games that allow me to get on Skype, hang out with my friends back home, and play games.

Maybe it comes from my personal philosophy and what I expect out of games.

I play to experience.

Some play because they want to strategize, some play for competition, others play for fun. Next time you have a board game night, ask everyone why they are there - and don't accept "I like playing games" as an answer. Dig deeper, find out what brought you all together beyond the obvious.

For me, it's about the experience. The game, the people, the atmosphere. All of that wrapped into one package is what brings me to game night week after week. The game itself (mechanics, engagement) is only one piece of the puzzle, and it is, of course, an important piece - but that piece works in conjunction with everything else going on.

Think about it - every group has that one (or a couple) games that just doesn't click.

For example - there's a group that I wouldn't even dream of taking Libertalia too. I've tried it, but the way we play and experience that game just doesn't fit into the social space we share. But one of my other groups - Libertalia is a staple and played on a weekly basis because it fits the experience.

Not every game we design is going to fit into every situation, but it is important to keep that in mind as we move forward. We design for ourselves and for others. Sometimes your designs will resonate with the people you least expected, sometimes they'll hit home with exactly who you expected. Keeping the overall experience in the back of your mind can help you design a better game.

Think about the stories that the players will tell before, during, and after playing your game - how will your game affect that story? Will that narrative be driven by your clever mechanics? Your smooth integration of the theme? The come from behind victory due to a well executed plan?

When it comes to digital board games, which is what got me on this topic in the first place, I feel a loss of experience. Most of the time, I'm just playing. I then go close the app and go about my daily life only to come back to the game hours later, usually have forgotten what I did my previous move and if it even really mattered. I than make another arbitrary move because I'm just not that into it. I've lost the experience of togetherness and the social interaction with being other people.

Digital board games just aren't the same.

Is there a place for them? Sure.

Do people like them? Yeah, they wouldn't be making them if they weren't being purchased.

Are they for everyone? No, and that's okay.

-Charlie

2 comments:

  1. Good article. Brief and to the point. I do however enjoy physical board games solo...how do you feel about that aspect?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only played a couple, and it's been out of cases of extreme boardom (punny!). I really want to try Robinson Crusoe, which seems to be really interesting and the solo play may be fun.

    Overall, I'm not sure but my initial reaction is probably close to the same as digital board games.

    ReplyDelete